How Many Telephone Lines Do You Need On Your PABX/PBX Switchboard Business Telephone System?
It is vital that you have sufficient telephone lines on your PABX/PBX Switchboard Business Telephone System, in order to be able to make and receive sufficient calls simultaneously. One needs to understand however, that only one telephone call can be made or received, per telephone line. Multiple telephone lines are thus required to receive & make simultaneous calls.
There are no hard and fast rules to determine the amount of telephone lines required on your PABX/PBX Switchboard Business Telephone System, but consider the following:
- Outgoing calls: How many staff members would more than likely make an outgoing call at the same time? Consider their job functions, such as those who make more frequent use of the telephone such as telesales agents and debtors staff etc.
- Incoming calls: How many incoming calls are you likely to receive at the same time? Consider the nature of your business. You may be advertising extensively and receive multiple simultaneous incoming telephone calls. Again, consider key staff job functions.
- Now bear in mind that there are also other staff members who need to make and receive calls, who have not as yet been included in the above calculations.
- An alternative method, is simply to work on the ratio that for every four PABX extensions you have, you need one telephone line. This method however, does not take into account the nature of your business and the job functions of your personnel.
- Affordability must also be considered, as each telephone line carries a rental. One needs to weigh up the value between the number of telephone lines versus the line rental for them.